Live Streaming

  • Latest News

    Powered by Blogger.

    Manchester City 2-0 Watford Match Report

    By Alex Easley

    Raheem Sterling set Manchester City on their way to a 2-0 win over Watford on Saturday
    Raheem Sterling scored his first goal of the season for Manchester City as the hosts continued their 100% run in the league with a 2-0 win over Watford at the Etihad Stadium.

    Sterling put the Sky Blues in front early in the second half on Saturday after they initially struggled to find a way through in the opening 45 minutes, despite clear domination over proceedings.

    Brazilian Fernandinho doubled Manuel Pellegrini’s side’s lead to give them a comfortable cushion as they cruised to their fourth consecutive victory to maintain their perfect start.

    City have also yet to concede in 360 minutes of Premier League football this season and they keep their place at the top of table, opening up an eight-point gap over champions Chelsea and we’re still in August!

    Watford’s defence were resilient as the majority of the opening stages were played in the visitor’s half.

    The first half-chance came at the other, however, as Sebastian Prodl had two bites at a Hornets corner, but saw his first attempt blocked before his second was deflected wide.

    The hosts eventually managed to create an opening, but Sterling’s shot was diverted off target after a terrific last-second challenge by Craig Cathcart.

    The ex-Liverpool winger had an even better chance just minutes later as he picked up the ball, went past three defenders, but Watford keeper Heurelho Gomes managed to get an elbow to his low effort to send it wide of the post.

    Credit must go to Watford though, as Sergio Aguero was kept fairly quiet in the first half, but he did go close, yet he could only fire his 20-yard strike wide.

    Although Pellegrini brought on Samir Nasri for Jesus Navas at the break, it was Bacary Sagna who made the bigger impact down City’s right, as he set up the opener witihin two minutes of the restart.

    Hornets' boss Quique Sanchez Flores changed tactics at this point with Troy Deeney moving to a more conventional central position after initially starting the game wide on the right.

    On 56 minutes, however, the hosts doubled their lead after Yaya Toure’s free-kick hit the wall, Watford failed to clear and Fernandinho played a very neat one-two with David Silva before firing a powerful strike into the corner.

    City were then in cruise control, but still looked threatening whenever they were on the attack, Aguero scuffing a shot wide and Toure going close and Nasri seeing his long-range effort saved by Gomes.

    Watford head coach Flores remained positive despite the defeat and still searching for their first win of the season.

    Quique Sanchez Flores remained upbeat despite the defeat
    He said to Sky Sports, “[I am] disappointed, of course, because whenever you prepare a team you prepare to win," he said.

    "But it was very difficult to play against Manchester City today. They played really well, kept hold of the ball.

    "Manchester City is an amazing team, and we are learning from this kind of experience for the future.

    "The players are confident, the comments in the dressing room are that we are ready to go back for the next match.

    "The start of the season was very difficult, playing away at Everton and now at Manchester City – at these games it's very difficult to earn points.

    "But we are confident with the future of the team because they are working really hard, and they are focused on their target."

    Watford’s next match sees the visit of Swansea, who overturned a 1-0 deficit against Manchester United at the weekend, after the international break.
    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments


    Post a Comment

    Item Reviewed: Manchester City 2-0 Watford Match Report Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Alex Easley
    Scroll to Top